ZONUConnect is a simple yet universal fiber optic transport system that supports communication between any multi-sector base station and any DAS (Distributed Antenna System) for distances from 300 ft to 16 miles. ZONUConnect solves the remote connectivity problem with a fully-integrated menu of choices for the Point-of-Interface to connect with any base station configuration and allows any DAS Interface to connect to any DAS. It also offers a data-link for easy, web-based set-up and SNMP remote monitoring and control. There are many applications for fiber optic transport system including hotel base station, school campus coverage, CRAN to RRH, CRAN to DAS and many others.
System Options and Simplicity
One end-to-end fiber transport system for all of your DAS connectivity configurations.
Benefits of the ZONUConnect System
• Minimizing Fiber Count – The BTS-DAS Fiber Transport element uses either CWDM (Coarse Wave Division Multiplexing) or DWDM (Dense Wave Division Multiplexing) to combine multiple independent, wideband RF paths on a single fiber. CWDM permits combining up to six uplink and six downlink paths on a single fiber. DWDM supports up to twenty uplink and twenty downlink paths.
• Minimizing Equipment – The Fiber Transport consists of two to forty isolated RF paths each with 4000 MHz bandwidth. Because of this wide bandwidth, the POI (Point of Interface) at the base station and the DAS Interface Tray at the DAS headend pre-combine all the bands onto a single RF path. MIMO paths 1 and 2 are isolated on separate optical CWDM or DWDM channels. The DAS Interface separates the downlink bands and the POI separates the pre-combined uplink bands. This architecture minimizes the equipment needed at both sites.
• 24/7 Access – The DAS headend room is owned by the venue and full access is granted to the DAS owner only. CPRI-to-Remote Radio Head still requires significant (costly) space at the DAS headend site, a second power plant and puts the carrier base station equipment in a remote, inaccessible location. This makes installation and ongoing servicing a logistics problem for connection solutions that require on-site remote Radio Heads. With ZONUConnect, all base station equipment remains at the carriers central location with one power plant and 24/7 accessibility. In addition to the RF path, the link also provides an open Gigabit Ethernet path between the base station side and the DAS headend that is utilized for management, but is available to connect other systems if desired.
• Highest Spectral Efficiency – ZONUConnect provides a remote base station connection solution that cannot be matched by any other approach. CPRI-over-fiber supports several channels per optical channel while ZONUConnect combines multiple bands on a single optical channel resulting in the highest spectral efficiency and the lowest fiber count.
• Optical Compensation Only When Needed – The Fiber Transport is defined with fixed gain for a 1 dB optical loss. With optical of 0.35 dB/km, this makes the Fiber Transport a simple, drop-in solution for 90% of real-world applications. For those instances where compensation is needed for higher optical loss, ZONUConnect provides a stand-alone 1U rack-mounted Extender Tray at the DAS headend location. In this way, no additional cost and complexity is incurred if this capability is not needed. The POI and DAS Tray systems work together with the transport chassis to provide a total dynamic range of 30 dB. The GUI system provides access to a series of digital attenuators that can be used to balance the system.
• Minimum Commissioning Time – the simplicity of ZONUConnect means that even the largest systems can be deployed and commissioned in less than a day. The Auto Discovery system can be used during system commissioning to balance the gain on all optical channels. The system works by generating RF tones and measuring the power after the optical link. The system can then balance based on individual real world optical loss.
• Guaranteed Transparent Operation – The simple set up procedures ensure that ZONUConnect provides a noiseless connection for any base station and DAS configuration. The system is completely protocol and modulation technology independent. This allows the system to be compatible with all future technologies that use the same frequency bands.